Godparents have an extremely important role to play in the personal development of their Godchildren. In Christianity, traditionally, Godparents had a lifelong commitment to their God children’s spiritual development. Godparents were also assigned legal obligations should the child become orphaned.
In modern times, the role of Godparent has become more ceremonial and symbolic, with Godparents mainly making an appearance at christenings and birthdays. However, there are some families where the job of assigning a trustworthy Godparent for one’s children still carries great value.
Godparents not only act as a support system for the parents but also become counselors for the children. The role of a Godparent is also a mark of close friendship as only a close friend would be entrusted with the responsibility.
Things to keep in mind while sending thank you notes to Godparents
- Make sure that your words are genuine and not generic.
- Always accompany a “thank you godparents” note with a small gift as a token of your appreciation. Flowers are a great accompaniment for all kinds of thank you notes.
- One way to ensure your words ring true is by doing your research. Make sure your compliments are based on real facts. For example, your “thank you godparents” note can acknowledge the support your godparent has shown you or your child in times of distress.
- Every parent knows that parenting involves a huge magnitude of responsibility. The persons you chose to act as Godparents help share the burdens for life. It’s important that you specifically acknowledge the support in your “thank you godparents” note. As a Godchild, you can make references to particular instances where your Godparent offered you help and counsel.
- A handwritten note always makes a bigger impact than a cookie-cutter typed note. If you can, do consider writing a note by hand. A beautifully penned “thank you godparents” note would also become a great keepsake.
Things to avoid while sending thank you notes to Godparents
- Don’t focus too much on negatives in your “thank you godparents” note. It spoils the mood and is not in keeping with the sentiment of a thank you note. Avoid all references to times of turmoil or distress.
- Avoid writing an overlong “thank you godparents” note. It is likely that an extremely long note will remain unread. While the thought is admirable, if you have a longer story or more heartfelt feelings to share, a letter is the more appropriate medium.
- Avoid repeating yourself when penning your “thank you godparents” note. A note doesn’t have to be long to make an impact.
- Avoid platitudes and clichés in your thank you note. Lines like “you are the best,” “you are the greatest,” “you have changed our lives forever” make you sound insincere. If you must use these lines, make sure to accompany them with real details.
- Avoid overuse of emojis, illegible handwriting and grammatical mistakes. All these show a lack of care and make your note appear rushed.
List of sayings
We have made it easy for you by putting together a list of thank you notes for Godparents. Enjoy browsing and hope you get some great ideas for crafting your very own thank you note.
- Thank you for always being there for me. I am so lucky to have a Godmother who is forever available for advice and fun both. I will never forget your support last year when I was struggling financially.
- Thank you for being such a great example all these years. I am so fortunate to have an extra parent when I am going through a tough time. You have always believed in me. Your support of my business has been especially thoughtful. Cannot thank you enough for all the much need advice.
- Thank you for always looking out for me. I know who to call if Mom and Dad aren’t around. I know I don’t say it enough but you’ve been more than a Godparent. You’ve been my friend and support system always. I love you.
- Thank you for knowing the exact right thing to say when I am struggling. I am so lucky to have a Godfather who is always there to lend a helping hand. Your support of my business venture will never be forgotten. I owe you so much and love you always.
- Thank you for being such a great mentor all these years. Thank you for being there at every important milestone and cheering me on. I am so fortunate to have a Godfather like you.
- Thank you for all your years of guidance and support. Loved seeing you at my graduation. I cannot thank you enough for all your help with choosing colleges. I am lucky beyond belief to have a Godmother like you.
- Thank you Godmother for all your love and support. It’s such a privilege having you around. I know I can always count on you for anything.
- Thank you for supporting me all these years. I want to thank you especially for helping me with the down payment for my first house. I will never be able to repay you for all your small and big kindnesses over the years. Lucky to have a Godfather like you.
- Thank you for being the best Godmother anyone could ask for. Your birthday gifts were so thoughtful. I don’t say it enough but I love and respect you very much.
- Thank you for being such a great inspiration for success. Your guidance with post-college plans is so appreciated. Lucky to have a Godfather like you. You teach me to be better and work harder daily.
- Thank you for never letting me fail. I know how much your words helped last year when I was struggling to deal with school and coursework. Cannot express enough how lucky I am to have a Godmother like you.
- Thank you for being such a great mentor and friend. You are the best Godfather a guy can ask for.
- Thank you for the support you’ve extended towards both the family and me over the years. I know how relieved Mom and Dad are for your presence in our lives. And, I am especially lucky to have an extra parent around.
- Thank you for your help with my student loans. I am lucky to have a Godfather like you. I know how stressed Mom and Dad were. You’ve always looked out for our family and I can never thank you enough.
- Thank you for being so good to me all these years. I am forever indebted to you for the many years of guidance and support, financial and spiritual. As I enter this journey of becoming a parent myself, I appreciate what a great example I had in my Godmother. Love you.
- Thank you for helping me get back on my feet last year. I know I said it then but wanted to write out my thoughts. You’ve always been such a great mentor and support system. I was hesitant to ask Mom and Dad for help. But you jumped in with your support and I couldn’t be more grateful. So lucky to have a Godfather like you. I love you.
- Thank you for being a support system after Dad passed away. I was not in the right place to say it then, but your words helped so much. You’ve been so great to Mom and me both, helping us out financially unasked. I will never be able to thank you enough for your kindness. So lucky to have you as my Godfather.
- Thank you for coming to my 18th birthday. You were so generous with your gifts. But your letter was the most precious. I will always cherish your advice and support all these years. You’ve been a great example of the kind of man I wish to become. Lucky to have you as my Godfather.
- Thank you for checking in, all of last week. Your support means more to me than I can ever express adequately. Mom and Dad chose a perfect Godmother in you. You’ve never let me feel alone financially or otherwise. I love you and forever am indebted to you.
- Thank you for being the one person I can disclose all my worries and insecurities to. I feel so lucky to have an extra parent in times of distress. Love you.
- Thank you for being such a great Godmother. You have shown me time and again that you are just a phone call away. I can never repay you for all your kindnesses. But I will make sure I will always live up to your example.
- Thank you for being my best friend and biggest cheerleader. I know who to call when Mom isn’t around. You’ve made growing up so seamless. You’re the best Godmother and inspiration for life. I love you.
- Thank you for helping me with my law school applications. You’ve always taken such an active interest in my academics. It makes me feel that I have a guardian angel forever. I always know who to call when Mom and Dad can’t help. You’re the best Godfather and the best mentor. I love you.
- Thank you for coming to my wedding. You’ve always been available for my life’s major milestones. I know I don’t say it enough but you’re like a second mother to me. You’re the best Godmother and I am so glad that Mom and Dad chose you. Your toast was so touching and we know we can count on your guidance as we embark on this chapter of our lives
Thank you for always being my biggest cheerleader and gentlest critic. Your speech at my graduation was so moving. I can never thank you enough for all your help and support with exams and prep. I’m so lucky to have you as my Godfather. I know I always have an extra parent to count on. Love you.