Ada Lovelace is known for her intelligence and confidence. She is a great mathematician and writer who uses her creativity in creating masterpieces, such as different quotes pertaining to science and mathematics. She reiterated in her quotes how these bodies of knowledge are useful to mankind. Ada Lovelace died on November 27, 1853, because of uterine cancer, but before she died, she imparted her works of writing to inspire and give knowledge to others.
1. “Understand well as I may, my comprehension can only be an infinitesimal fraction of all I want to understand.”
This quote from Ada Lovelace reminds those who lose motivation to never get tired in acquiring new knowledge that will be useful in your daily living.
2. “The more I study, the more insatiable I feel my genius for it to be.”
As long as you never lose the passion for learning new things, the more you crave for more intellectual ability. Your eagerness to learn is what makes you intelligent.
3. “A new, vast, and powerful language are developed for the future use of analysis, in which to wield its truths so that these may become of more speedy and accurate practical application for the purposes of mankind than the means hitherto in our possession have rendered possible.”
Science and mathematics have their own language that is invented to serve its purpose, which is to assist in the development of humanity. These are the two aspects that will not be erased in the modern world today because it is the reason why humans tend to make things conveniently.
4. “I don’t wish to be without my brains, though’ they doubtless interfere with a blind faith which would be very comfortable.”
You cannot survive if you do not have sufficient knowledge in doing simple basic things. Your ability to think is the greatest weapon that you have in life.
5. “The Analytical Engine weaves algebraic patterns, just as the Jacquard loom weaves flowers and leaves.”
The inventions of inventors and scientists are created to do a certain function, which is to create other useful inventions. The invention of the Analytical Engine is the basis of modern technology today.
6. “I believe myself to possess a most singular combination of qualities exactly fitted to make me pre-eminently a discoverer of the hidden realities of nature.”
As a unique individual, you have an outstanding trait that will help you explore the beauty of life. Not all goodness of life can be seen superficially, and sometimes, you have to gain more experiences to discover a more realistic view.
7. “Thus not only the mental and the material, but the theoretical and the practical in the mathematical world, are brought into more intimate and effective connection with each other.”
When it comes to mathematics and science, all variables are inter-related. Everything that happens in and around us has a reason and a purpose.
8. “Imagination is the Discovering Faculty, pre-eminently. It is that which penetrates into the unseen worlds around us, the worlds of Science.”
Through the power of imagination, you are able to discover ideas that are not yet known, and that is what you call the world of science. Science tackles a broad topic, even the ones that are not yet present.
9. “The intellectual, the moral, the religious seem to me all naturally bound up and interlinked together in one great and harmonious whole.”
The different aspects of life are naturally connected with each other that will form one whole new dimension. Each aspect that a particular person has reflects its overall characteristics as a person.
10. “That brain of mine is something more than merely mortal; as time will show.”
The knowledge that you have will not fade away. The knowledge that you have acquired is even enhanced as time goes by.
11. “Forget this world and all its troubles and if possible its multitudinous Charlatans.”
Life brings you hardships. Know how to ignore the difficulties experienced in life to live life to the fullest. You will only be truly happy if you know how not to dwell on life’s challenges.
12. “Imagination is the Discovering Faculty, pre-eminently … It is that which feels & discovers what is, the REAL which we see not, which exists not for our senses… Mathematical science shows what is. It is the language of unseen relations between things… Imagination too shows what is … Hence she is or should be specially cultivated by the truly Scientific, those who wish to enter into the worlds around us!”
The power of mathematics and science discovers unexplainable things that you only used to feel and imagine. They are the reason why you can make the impossible possible.
13. “The science of operations, as derived from mathematics more especially, is a science of itself, and has its own abstract truth and value.”
Mathematics stands as an independent body of knowledge that has its own principles, rules, and traits.
14. “Mathematical science shows what is. It is the language of unseen relations between things. But to use and apply that language, we must be able to fully appreciate, to feel, to seize the unseen, the unconscious.”
For you to be able to appreciate mathematics, you should be able to wholeheartedly learn the language that it uses to understand and be equipped with knowledge.
15. “I am much pleased to find how very well I stand work & how my powers of attention & continued effort increase.”
Patience and determination are the key values of continued work. Without these key values, your motivation to do a certain thing will not be fulfilling.
16. “I was rather foolish in saying that I did not like arithmetic and to learn figures when I did – I was not thinking quite what I was about. The sums can be done better if I tried than they are.”
For you to be able to understand and learn more about mathematics, you must think overboard for you to excel. You need to try understanding it before giving up on learning it.
17. “The Analytical Engine has no pretensions whatever to originate anything. It can do whatever we know how to order it to perform… But it is likely to exert an indirect and reciprocal influence on science itself.”
Mathematics and science work hand-in-hand to perform what it needs to do.
18. “Owing to some peculiarity in my nervous system, I have a perception of sone-days, which no one else has; or at least very few, if any… I can throw rays from every quarter of the universe into one vast focus.”
If you allow yourself to learn new things, you are not limiting what your capabilities can only do. Learning new things each day makes you better equipped to face more challenges in life.
19. “Mathematical science shows what is. It is the language of unseen relations between things. But to use and apply that language, we must be able fully to appreciate, to feel, to seize the unseen, the unconscious.”
For you to appreciate and learn the language of mathematics, you should be able to understand how it goes. If you do not try giving it a chance, you might end up neglecting it forever.
20. “I am never so happy as when I am really engaged in good earnest, & it makes me must wonderfully cheerful & merry at other times, which is curious & very satisfactory tory.”
Making yourself productive is a way to satisfy your curiosity. You can only be happy if you do not have unanswered questions in your head.
21. “Those who have learned to walk on the threshold the unknown worlds, by means of what is commonly termed par excellence the exact sciences, may then, with the fair white wings of imagination, hope to soar further into the unexplored amidst which we live.”
Those who have an interest in exploring the different facets of life must be guided with perseverance to succeed.
22. “I have my hopes, & very distinct ones, too, of one-day getting cerebral phenomena such that I can put them into mathematical equations: in short, a law or laws for the mutual actions of the molecules of the brain.”
Don’t lose hope and always be determined to acquire knowledge because it is the only way to further enhance the brain.
23. “I think I am more determined than ever in my future plans, and I have quite made up my mind that nothing must be suffered to interfere with them. I intend to make such arrangements in town as will secure me a couple of hours daily (with very few exceptions) for my studies.”
You can prepare yourself in facing greater challenges by having the courage, wisdom, and determination to do it. You need to have a goal in life so that your determination is always on par.
24. “I have got a scheme to make a thing in the form of a horse with a steam engine in the inside so contrived as to move an immense pair of wings, fixed on the outside of the horse, in such a manner as to carry it up into the air while a person sits on its back.”
The combination of mathematics and science can make extraordinary things. The extraordinary inventions of this world are a product of mathematics and science.
25. “I find that nothing but a very close and intense application to subjects of a scientific nature now seems at all to keep my imagination from running wild, or to stop up the void which seems to be left in my mind from want of excitement.”
Just by knowing and fully understanding mathematics and science creates vivid imagination and a sense of excitement. The knowledge that you can get from mathematics and science is never-ending, as long as you live, there are more things to learn.
26. “What is imagination?… It is a God-like, noble faculty. It renders earth tolerable; it teaches us to live, in the tone of the eternal.”
Imagination creates greater things that you wouldn’t even expect that is possible. Imaginations help you create a larger picture of the possible events that you may encounter in the future.
27. “I am more than ever now the bride of science. Religion, to me, is science, and science is religion.”
All the things that are in this world can be explained through science. Science is a great aspect where all things possibly came from.
These quotations imparted by Ada Lovelace aims to communicate the importance of mathematics and science in this modern world. Somehow she prepared humanity on how mathematics and science can make a significant change.